Michigan Federal Criminal Appeals Lawyers: The Difference That Makes a Difference In Your Case And In Your Life
We Are Federal Criminal Appeals
We are a Federal Criminal Appeals law firm that works in the Federal Appellate arena exclusively. Our experience is centered in Federal Criminal Law and protecting the Constitutional rights of our clients. We are all too aware that the justice system that is supposed to protect and serve the public often goes awry and mistakes are made. The Judges, prosecutors, and the police that are supposed to uphold the law are human and make mistakes and commit errors, both unintentional and intentional. That is where we come in. The Federal Criminal Appeal ensures that the Federal criminal trials that are supposed to be balanced, fair, and unbiased, are precisely that. We peruse the Federal Criminal laws and the U.S. Constitution to make sure all your rights are protected. In fact, the Constitution of the United States guarantees to everyone certain rights including the following:
- The right to be free from unreasonable search and seizures (4th Amendment);
- The right to due process of law (5th Amendment);
- The right to remain silent when questioned by law enforcement (5th Amendment);
- The right not to be tried twice for the same crime (5th Amendment);
- The right to a speedy and public trial (6th Amendment);
- The right to confront witnesses against you (6th Amendment);
- The right to adequate legal representation (6th Amendment);
- The right not to be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment (8th Amendment); and
- The right to be Free from excessive sentences (8th Amendment).
Despite these Constitutional protections, every day innocent people are wrongly convicted and given harsh sentences. But, there is hope. Everyone convicted of a crime has the right to appeal, and we can help.
Contact a Michigan Federal Criminal Appeals Lawyer at 1-800-APPPEALS.
Michigan Federal Criminal Appeals Attorneys Mean Business
We are a boutique law firm devoting its entire practice to Federal Criminal Appeals and defending the constitutionally protected rights applicable to individual and corporate clients in complex federal criminal appeals. We are admitted to practice in the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States. We serve Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Warren, and many other cities in Michigan. We have experience representing clients with federal criminal convictions, including but not limited to, the following:
- Complex Crimes such as intellectual property violations, theft of trade secrets, copyrights, trademarks, and patent infringement, cybercrimes, environmental crimes, federal procurement fraud, and federal program fraud;
- General Crimes including firearms trafficking and unlawful possession, bank robbery, counterfeiting, postal violations, and federal crimes against children;
- Drug Crimes including large-scale distribution of illegal narcotics and related violent criminal activity;
- Health Care Fraud such as fraudulent billing in the Medicare, Medicaid and private health insurance programs, the diversion of prescription drugs to individuals without prescriptions, and other forms of fraud in the health care system;
- Public Corruption Crimes such as corruption by public officials and law enforcement officers, criminal civil rights matters, hate crimes, police brutality and human trafficking;
- Violent and Organized Crimes including traditional organized crime, international organized crime, and smaller groups of individuals victimizing neighborhoods and businesses, and racketeering charges; and
- White Collar Crime including financial crimes that arise in the private sector, especially fraud schemes executed through use of mail or wire communications, bank fraud, mortgage fraud, Ponzi schemes, corporate fraud, arson for profit, credit fraud, and identity theft, as well as fraud schemes perpetrated by criminal organizations.
Federal Criminal Appeals Attorneys Meeting the Challenge – Timing is Everything
The first step is to contact an experienced appellate law firm – immediately. In order to preserve your right to appeal a wrongful federal criminal conviction and sentence, you must file a Notice of Appeal within 14 days from the date when your sentence was imposed. Thereafter, you have a limited time to submit a written appellate brief.
What is an appellate brief? It is a document prepared by your appellate attorney outlining the important Constitutional issues, violations, and other legal errors that resulted in your improper federal criminal conviction, sentence, or both. To uncover the errors, the federal criminal appeals attorneys must review the trial court record, transcripts, evidence, and everything that was said and done up to the time of you conviction and sentence. We will find and highlight the most important mistakes and present them in a well-organized, well-written, and persuasive appellate brief. Of course, we will make sure that your appellate brief complies with the strict standards of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Federal Criminal Appeals Lawyers Marking the Occasion at Oral Argument
The appellate brief is just the start. We also prefer to personally appear and argue on your behalf in front of the panel of appellate judges at the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals at oral argument. Why? Because oral argument is the last chance for appellate issues to be emphasized for the court’s consideration. We prefer to take this opportunity to answer questions and clarity points for the court.